Monday, December 20, 2010

Conserve, Reuse, Recycle

"Have you figured out yet that I'm going as
a cadaver, an anatomical gift?"

Semrau purposely leaves information out. I think he does this to really capture the reader's attention. His intent is to make it sound like he's really going green, but in reality, he wants his body to be donated. Throughout most of the article, he's talking about how going green can be a good thing. He says, however, that he prefers to reuse, instead of conserve or recycle. He is, of course, referring to reusing his body, but the reader does not know that yet.

I think his writing strategy was pretty effective. It definitely caught my attention and made me think about everything he said a little differently. If he just said from the very beginning that he planned on becoming a cadaver, sure it would have been a lot easier to understand right away, but it also would not have held my interest, or make me really think about what he's going to do. Sharing this and not telling the reader right away what he's talking about, gets the reader interested in what he has to say. It caught their attention that he was not talking about what they thought he was. It worked for me anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment